Kati Marton. An extraordinary work of history and original reporting that reveals the ways in which presidential marriages have affected the tone, character, and policies of twelve administrations, from Woodrow and Edith Wilson to George W. Each of the marriages that Kati Marton examines in this hugely appealing book offers up its own unexpected lessons about power and marriage, about the influence of presidential wives, and about the evolution of women's roles in the twentieth century. Based on private White House documents and on interviews with the participants and with eyewitnesses to presidential events, "Hidden Power" explores how both the personal dynamics and public faces of White House marriages have shaped our history.
We see Edith Wilson literally running the government when her deeply beloved husband becomes ill; how the combination of Franklin Roosevelt's reassuring spirit and his wife's humility guided the country through Depression and war; how Bess Truman's loyalty, bluntness, and unpretentiousness were some of her husband's greatest resources; the superb and necessary diplomacy of Jacqueline Kennedy.
We observe Lady Bird Johnson retaining her own compass in the face of massive criticism of her husband; how Patricia Nixon's estrangement from her husband fed his paranoia; how the Fords reassured us after the debacles of Vietnam and Watergate; Rosalynn Carter's struggle to carve out new territory as first lady; the generally constructive role Nancy Reagan played, despite her frivolous reputation; the razor-sharp political instincts behind Barbara Bush's grandmotherly image; how Hillary Clinton saved her husband's presidency; and how Laura Bush providesemotional ballast for her husband.
Here are the stories of the ultimate power couples--each one very different, but all of them informative, lively, and absolutely fascinating.
Hidden Power: Presidential Marriages that Shaped Our Recent History - Kati Marton - Google книги
That Changed the World. Since , Ms. From until , she was a columnist for the Sunday Times of London.
Her second book, a novel entitled An American Woman , was published in From until , Ms. Gould, Lewis L.
- Menu corporate!
- GIS Fundamentals (2nd Edition).
- Ecomuseums: A Sense of Place.
- Messerschmitt Bf 109 Part 2 in Action No 57.
December, University of Kansas Press. Johnson, Lady Bird.
- Kati Marton | Sciences Po US FOUNDATION.
- The Human Resources Scorecard: Measuring the Return on Investment (Improving Human Performance).
- Kati Marton, writer and journalist - The Interview!
- Hidden power : presidential marriages that shaped our recent history.
- Hidden Power: Presidential Marriages That Shaped Our History!
- Coding Club Level 1 Python Basics.
- Microanatomy and Function of the Spleen (Advances in Anatomy, Embryology and Cell Biology)?
A White House Diary. Holt, Rinehart, and Winston. Lees contributors. Wildflowers across America.
- Hidden Power: Presidential Marriages that Shaped Our Recent History - Kati Marton - Google книги!
- Shop by category.
- Theoretical Surface Science: A Microscopic Perspective?
- Hidden Power: Presidential Marriages that Shaped Our Recent History - Kati Marton - Google книги?
- H2O (The Rain, Book 1).
- For Better or Worse;
June, Marton, Kati. September, Russell, Jan Jarboe.
'Hidden Power' by Kati Marton
Lady Bird: A Biography of Mrs. August, Lyndon B. Johnson Library and Museum. American Experience: Lyndon Johnson.
Shop now and earn 2 points per $1
The War on Poverty President. The White House Conversations. November, Caro, Robert.