Based on interviews Treuer conducted with ten elders this anthology presents the elders' stories transcribed in Ojibwe with English translation on facing pages. These stories contain a wealth of information, including oral histories of the Anishinaabe people and personal reminiscences, educational tales, and humorous anecdotes. Treuer's translations of these stories preserve the speakers' personalities, allowing their voices to emerge from the page. Treuer introduces each speaker, offering a brief biography and noting important details concerning dialect or themes; he then allows the stories to speak for themselves.
- Common section;
- What Are the 7 Wonders of the Modern World??
- Picture Books.
- Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You!
- David Treuer — Language and Meaning, an Ojibwe Story - The On Being Project.
- Middle Ages Reference Library Vol 4 Primary Sources.
This dual-language text will prove instructive for those interested in Ojibwe language and culture, while the stories themselves offer the gift of a living language and the history of a people. He has a B. He is Editor of the Oshkaabewis pronounced o-shkaah-bay-wis Native Journal, the only academic journal of the Ojibwe language.
Posted by Beth Solheim at AM. Anonymous July 21, at AM. Anonymous July 24, at AM. Anonymous June 22, at PM. Newer Post Older Post Home. Subscribe to: Post Comments Atom.
Skip to main content. We're sorry, something went wrong. Please try again.
Paperback, Be the first to write a review. About this product.
Living our language : Ojibwe tales & oral histories / edited by Anton Treuer
Stock photo. Brand new: lowest price The lowest-priced brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging where packaging is applicable.
- Physical and Chemical Processes in Gas Dynamics: Physical and Chemical Kinetics and Thermodynamics Volume II.
- Queens and power in medieval and early modern England!
- Applications and Innovations in Intelligent Systems XVI: Proceedings of AI-2008, The Twenty-eighth SGAI International Conference on Innovative Techniques ... of Artificial Intelligence (v. 16);
- Danger in Chess: How to Avoid Making Blunders;
Title: Living Our Language. Catalogue Number: Format: BOOK.
Catalog Record: Living our language : Ojibwe tales & oral histories | HathiTrust Digital Library
Missing Information?. See details. See all 3 brand new listings. Qty: 1 2. Buy It Now.
Living Our Language - E-bok - Anton Treuer () | Bokus
Add to cart. Paperback, Be the first to write a review. About this product Product Information A language carries a people's memories, whether they are recounted as individual reminiscences, as communal history, or as humorous tales. This collection of stories from Anishinaabe elders offers a history of a people at the same time that it seeks to preserve the language of that people.